Monday, May 14, 2018

I do veggies, do you?

IMG_1320.JPG

I am a member of Daily Cross Stitch dot com.  I waited until there was a membership sale and paid $10.00 for a year.  Each day two designs are released, one for free and one exclusively for members.  The designs are what I call coloring book designs, blocks of color with no back stitching and fairly quick stitches.    There are some really darling little designs.  If you stitch greeting cards this site will have a multitude of designs for you.

This vegetable design caught my eye.  I thought it would be great stitched up for our breakfast nook.  I wanted to make it look vintage so I pulled out my fabric and found this lovely piece of Crescent Colours which appealed to me.  It is called Green Meadows which is evenweave in 28 count.  Of course Crescent Colors is now gone from the market.  I then decided no to the DMC floss, it was too vibrant for the look I am going for.

I pulled out my Olde Willow Stitchery Hand Dyed Threads (also no longer available) and I knew the colors were perfect for the design.  These are the colors I chose:

Sweet Pea (onion tops)
Winter Wheat (corn kernels)
Black Raspberry (egg plant)
Orange Sherbert (carrot)
English Q Rose (radish)
Tabasco (tomato)
Flamingo (light part of mushroom & onion)
Great Pumpkin (dark part of mushroom & onion)
Creamed Spinach (green thing above corn and carrot)
Solitude Green (broccoli bottom)
Weeping Willow (broccoli bottom and eggplant top)

IMG_1322.JPG

I decided to play with staining the fabric with the walnut ink crystals.  I wet the fabric and sprayed the diluted crystals on the fabric. I found the wet fabric did not hold the staining as well as I hoped.  Next time I will stain the fabric when it is dry.  The staining on the fabric is very subtle, I like it but think I would like it a bit darker.

IMG_1321.JPG

When I was at Dollar General I found this plastic frame with chicken wire.  It was $3.50 and I love it. I am going to attach via magnets the stitched piece to the chicken wire.  I want to add a bow out of a country gingham fabric and possible a few wild flowers.  I will be able to change out elements due to the way I want to attach with magnets.

I will share the finished piece and look forward to finishing this fun piece which has come together in unexpected ways.  The best laid stitching plans always have surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment