Saturday, May 11, 2019

Spring bling stitching

Yes indeed, I have been stitching.  I am enjoying some lovely small Spring projects, let me share them with you.

We had a very long, cold, snowy winter like many people in the Midwest.  It has been many years since we had seen such a winter.  I was chomping at the bit for Spring and wanting to feel the warmth of the sun on my face.  Our spring has come but has been wet and damp with a few really lovely days.  Not many truly good sunroom stitching days have been seen.



I have 3 spring designs completed.  The top design on yellow fabric is a Lizzie Kate kit design called "Easter".  I did not stitch it on the supplied Aida, I stitched it on a 28 count linen called "Lemonaide" which was from a now defunct company called "The Dye is Cast".  It is close to the DMC color 445.  I used a combination of DMC floss and "The Dye is Cast" hand dyed floss.  I loved the orange carrot color I used it in the next design I stitched.  The picture below doesn't accurately reflect the yellow fabric.  It is really a cheerful and warm yellow.  I wish Brenda was still hand dying her fabric line.


The next finish was an old free design from "Mosey 'n Me", called "Surprise".  Everytime I would peruse my free designs I would think, "I need to stitch this some day!"  Well some day came and I am in love with the results.

The fabric is a 28 count Quaker linen from the Silkweaver Signature Series.  It was a limited edition color and is an aqua color similar to DMC floss color 3811.  It is a very spring like color.  The design has no color choices but tells you to pick your own.  I chose the carrot color from the defunct "The Dye is Cast" that I used in the above Lizzie Kate design.  The tea rose colored heart and the green carrot leaves and the rabbit, his nose and ears were also hand dyed fibers from the defunct Dye is Cast.  The back stitching is DMC, a dark brown color.  I used black beads for his eyes.  I have to say the backstitching makes this design come to life.

This last finish has to be my favorite.  It is also a free design from Mosey 'n Me! The fabric is a 28 count linen again from Silkweavers Signature Linen in the color called Plum. It is similar to DMC floss number 554.  I used the same floss colors from the defunct "The Dye Is Cast" for this bunny head as I used in "Surprise".  I used DMC 310/black for the back stitching.  This design only had the nose and mouth graphed for back stitching but I felt that it definitely needed some defining to bring out the cute face.  I tried to emulate the style of Mosey 'n Me backstitching that was used in the graph of "Suprise" and wow!!!! I was so pleased with the results.  Again I used black beads for the eyes.  The neck bow was graphed and I stitched it however in a stroke of serendipity I had purchased these sweet little girl bow hair clips.  Carefully I removed the bow from the clip and tacked it on over the stitched bow.  This just brings out the charm of this small little design.  It really doesn't get much cuter then this design!  I am proud of myself!

I have started a free design from "Alita" designs called "Chick and Flower".  I am stitching it on a 32ct Belfast linen in a robin egg blue color which DMC has no accurate color of.  The picture of the blue fabric in the hoop needs some green to it.  It is a wonderful bright and cheery color.  I am using the called for DMC colors but there isn't a really discernable difference in the yellows as the graph picture shows.  I think I may use a darker yellow or orange to back stitch the wing.  I started this on 4/29/2019 but have stitched in fits on the weekends.  

So that is the stitching happenings here in my Happy Room.  I hope all your stitching is lovely and joyful.  Break out your experimental nature and embrace some creativity, you just may surprise yourself!  I did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment